Sunday, October 10, 2010

Rachelle and a whole lot of Skhug

This is a public service announcement:


Do not eat Skhug!  If you do, eat at your own risk!  


I learned this the hard way.  One night, down near Ben Yehudah Street, Denise, Carolyn, Nicole, Danit, and I stopped to grab a bite to eat at a Kebab place.  When you get falafel, schwarma, or kebabs, you get to pick and choose what you want in your pita (or in my case a lafah which is a delicious Iraqi flatbread used to make a wrap)--hummus, tahina, cabbage, onions, mushrooms, fries, etc.  There is also some sort of spicy topping which is generally referred to as charif חריף (Hebrew for spicy).  I asked for a little charif which is normally just the right amount to add a little kick to whatever it is I am eating.  I sat down and began to eat.  After thoroughly enjoying my lafah kebab wrap for a few minutes, I must have hit a spot with the charif.  Immediately my mouth was on FIRE!  My lips, around my lips, inside my mouth, EVERYTHING was on fire.  


Denise realized that the charif at this place must be the REAL stuff, Skhug, which is a Yemenite hot sauce made from hot peppers and a variety of other spices.  She was smart and did not ask for any on her pita.  Despite how intensely spicy my food was, I could not let it go to waste because it was sooo delicious.  I took breaks in between bites and tried to wash it down with water (though that might have made things worse), stuck it out until the end.  Afterwards, I rewarded myself with delicious gelato from Aldo/Max Brenner.  I was tempted to stick my entire mouth into the cup of ice cream, but I restrained myself!  


I don't think I'll be requesting charif any time soon!

4 comments:

  1. You know, there are those of us who actually enjoy Zhug. Sarah turned me onto it, and I use it now as much as I would use Tabasco.

    Her Baghdad-born grandfather taught her to put a little bit in her chicken soup -- which is how I eat my soup now too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is max brenner like in israel? more yummy than in nyc i presume?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff- I don't think I've ever used Tabasco on anything so I probably won't be using Zhug regularly either. But hey, more power to ya for being able to handle something that spicy!

    Julia- Max Brenner/Aldo Ice Cream is delicious but they don't really have the full dessert menu at the locations by me... not sure if there are other locations in Israel that do have the delicious full dessert menu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious. no matter how painful. haha. I must be craving a falafel. go figure.

    ReplyDelete